Robotics Engineer: Systems & Applications
Headquartered in sunny Los Angeles, GrayMatter Robotics is an AI robotics company that empowers people with smart robot assistants designed for tedious and ergonomically challenging tasks. We bundle our AI software with off-the-shelf robots, sensors, and tools to create application-specific turnkey solutions for customers through a Robot-as-a-Service (RaaS) format.
We help manufacturers improve shop floor workers’ quality of life, increase production capacity, and reduce scrap, repair, and rework costs. As a Senior Robotics Engineer: Systems & Applications, you will join our Customer Success team to enable customer success by leading the implementation, deployment, and support activities of smart robotic assistants for surface treatment applications.
- Manage multiple customer projects at once
- Lead the development of new applications using GrayMatter technologies and solutions
- Before the work cell is deployed, work with the customer to learn about the manufacturing process, including observing the current process, taking measurements, CAD, and machine documentation
- Work cross-functionally with the product and engineering teams to improve customer experience
- Work with mechanical and robotics engineers to design the work cell layout for a specific task, keeping in mind the robot's reachability and cycle time
- Make any necessary design modifications on the robot end-of-arm-tool and part fixtures by working with mechanical engineers, and get parts fabricated, assembled, and tested
- Design, implement, and deploy robotic cells, systems, and components
- Setup and test the work cell on the customer task which includes the ability to install, troubleshoot, and maintain control components such as proximity sensors, relays, and vacuum ejectors.
- Lead rigorous system testing practices
- Create, update and review documentation, manuals, and educational content
- Install and support robotic solutions with a team of junior engineers
- Own the entire customer success lifecycle and educate junior engineers on best practices
- Mentor, onboard and provide technical leadership to junior robotics engineers to reduce ramp up time
Export Control Requirements
In order to comply with the export regulations of the United States Government, it is required that the applicant must fall under one of the following categories: (i) U.S. citizen or national, (ii) U.S. lawful permanent resident (i.e. current green card holder), (iii) Refugee under 8 U.S.C. § 1157, or (iv) Asylee under 8 U.S.C. § 1158.
- BS in Robotics, Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering or similar engineering
- 4+ years experience with Robotics, Automation or cyber-physical systems
- Basic programming knowledge in ROS, C++, Python, or other similar languages
- Proficiency in working with Linux-based systems
- Proven track record of solving technical problems effectively, efficiently, and independently
- Effective communication skills and strong interpersonal skills to work with internal and external stakeholders
- Willingness to travel up to 40% of the time nationwide
- Experience with systems programming and HW/SW integration
- Ability to work with customers
- 1+ years of customer facing experience with demonstrated track record of working directly with external parties to create customized solutions
- Demonstrated experience with 3D solid modeling, analysis, and development of 2D manufacturing drawings
- Familiarity with industrial facilities and equipment
- Experience programming FANUC, robotic manipulators, or other 6DOF robotic arms
- Experience working in a startup environment
GrayMatter Robotics provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We encourage and embrace applicants of all backgrounds to apply! GrayMatter Robotics is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for candidates with disabilities. If you believe you require accommodations during the recruiting process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to submit your request.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Compensation for this position includes the base salary range of $100,000 - $125,000 USD plus equity. We also provide comprehensive benefits and perks which include but are not limited to unlimited PTO, 401(k) plan + employer match, regular offsite events, a discretionary fund for enhancing productivity and so much more! The range listed on job postings reflect the minimum and maximum new hire salary in Los Angeles, CA.