Senior Design Engineer
Headquartered in sunny Los Angeles, GrayMatter Robotics is a well-capitalized AI robotics startup serving the manufacturing industry. We empower shop floor workers with our smart robots that assist with tedious and ergonomically challenging tasks, specifically in automated surface finishing. Our proprietary GMR-AI™ software is integrated with state-of-the-art industrial robots, sensors, and tools to create application-specific turnkey solutions for customers through a Robot-as-a-Service (RaaS) model.
We help manufacturers improve the quality of life for their workforce while increasing production capacity, and reducing scrap, repair, and rework costs. As a Senior Design Engineer, you will join our Design & Mechatronics team onsite in our Gardena, CA office to explore, develop and test novel systems in house for implementation in the field.
Role & Responsibilities
- Design hardware and mechanisms for robotic systems
- Troubleshoot and test existing hardware on automation systems to look for large improvement and robustness opportunities
- Collaborate cross functionally with internal teams to improve product designs utilizing design for manufacturing systems for end of arm tooling (EOAT)
- Develop new designs with a performance and reliability mindset
- Develop and/or review designs
- Perform basic structural analysis and simulation
- Prototype hardware considering design for manufacturability (DFM) using 3D and/or CNC machines where appropriate
- Own electric and mechanical hardware selection
- Provide drawing checking, GD&T, DFM, BOM and PDM oversight
- Organize part number allocation
- Review BOMs for completeness to support inventory management and system deployment
- Make recommendations for design validation and testing
- Lead, mentor and develop junior talent
- BS/MS in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent experience
- Demonstrated experience with 3D solid modeling, analysis, and development of 2D manufacturing drawings
- Thorough understanding of manufacturing processes; manual machining, CNC machining, welding, sheet metal fabrication, plastic 3D prototyping
- Thorough understanding of materials for manufacturing
- 5+ years working proficiency with CAD programs, hands-on prototyping, fabrication or ability to design for 3D printing
- Proven track record of strong communication skills and ability to collaborate effectively across multiple teams and customers
- Willingness to work at early stage company with dynamic priorities
- Ability to conduct RCCAs and trade studies
- Ability to solve problems effectively in a collaborative environment
- Must secure work authorization in the United States and maintain ongoing work authorization beginning at the time of hire through the entirety of employment
- 5+ years working proficiency with SolidWorks
- Experience with industrial robots and 6 DOF robotic arms
- Experience machining, rapid prototyping and fabrication processes/materials to meet functional design requirements
- Experience with project management
- Experience with product deployment
- Familiar with industrial facilities and equipment
GrayMatter Robotics provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training. GrayMatter Robotics is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for candidates with disabilities. If you believe you require accommodations during the recruiting process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to submit your request.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Compensation for this position includes the base salary range of $100,000 - $120,000 USD plus equity. We also provide comprehensive benefits and perks which include but are not limited to unlimited PTO, 401(k) plan + employer match, regular offsite events, a discretionary fund for enhancing productivity and so much more! The range listed on job postings reflect the minimum and maximum new hire salary across levels in Los Angeles, CA.
Something looks off?