Senior Mechatronics Engineer
Headquartered in sunny Los Angeles, GrayMatter Robotics is a well-capitalized AI robotics startup serving the manufacturing industry. We empower shop floor workers with our smart robots that assist with tedious and ergonomically challenging tasks, specifically in automated surface finishing. Our proprietary GMR-AI™ software is integrated with state-of-the-art industrial robots, sensors, and tools to create application-specific turnkey solutions for customers through a Robot-as-a-Service (RaaS) model.
We help manufacturers improve the quality of life for their workforce while increasing production capacity, and reducing scrap, repair, and rework costs. As a Senior Mechatronics Engineer, you will join our Design & Mechatronics team onsite in our Gardena, CA office to explore, develop and test novel systems in house for implementation in the field.
Role & Responsibilities
- Design parts and components for robotic systems
- Robust testing on developed systems
- Troubleshoot and test on developed systems such as but not limited to PLC systems
- Look at designs involved for new systems
- Prototype designs considering manufacturability (DFM) using 3D printer
- Own electric and mechanical hardware selection
- Electrical pneumatic hardware
- Meet with customers, and internal teams to ensure customer ideas are feasible and understand requirements and work with people to ensure all materials are ordered and sent in house for testing prior to deployments
- Collaborate cross functionally with internal teams to improve product designs utilizing design for manufacturing systems for end of arm tooling (EOAT)
- Collaborate with dev and test team to evaluate system for reliability and performance
- Applied knowledge of PLC hardware to upgrade and standardize systems for robotic cells
- Lead, mentor and develop junior talent
- BS/MS in Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering or equivalent experience
- 5+ years working proficiency with CAD programs, hands-on prototyping, fabrication or ability to design for 3D printing
- Basic programming knowledge in C++, Python, or similar languages
- Proven track record of strong communication skills and ability to collaborate effectively across multiple teams and customers
- Willingness to work at early stage company with dynamic priorities
- Ability to quickly problem solve and work autonomously with little or no supervision
- Ability to solve technical problems effectively, efficiently, and independently
- Must secure work authorization in the United States and maintain ongoing work authorization beginning at the time of hire through the entirety of employment
- Deep understanding of ROS or Linux
- Experience with industrial robots and 6 DOF robotic arms
- Experience working in customer-facing roles communicating technical subjects to a non-technical audience
- Demonstrated experience with 3D solid modeling, analysis, and development of 2D manufacturing drawings
- Experience machining, rapid prototyping and fabrication processes/materials to meet functional design requirements
- Familiar with industrial facilities and equipment
GrayMatter Robotics provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training. GrayMatter Robotics is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for candidates with disabilities. If you believe you require accommodations during the recruiting process, please contact email@example.com to submit your request.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Compensation for this position includes the base salary range of $100,000 - $115,000 USD plus equity. We also provide comprehensive benefits and perks which include but are not limited to unlimited PTO, 401(k) plan + employer match, regular offsite events, a discretionary fund for enhancing productivity and so much more! The range listed on job postings reflect the minimum and maximum new hire salary across levels in Los Angeles, CA.
Something looks off?