Data Engineer II
dv01 is lifting the curtain on the largest financial market in the world: structured finance. The $16+ trillion market is the backbone of everyday activities that empower financial freedom, from consolidating credit card debt and refinancing student loans, to buying a home and starting a small business.
dv01’s data analytics platform brings unparalleled transparency into investment performance and risk for lenders and Wall Street investors in structured products. As a data-first company, we wrangle critical loan data and build modern analytical tools that enable strategic decision-making for responsible lending. In a nutshell, we're helping prevent a repeat of the 2008 global financial crisis by offering the data and tools required to make smarter data-driven decisions resulting in a safer world for all of us.
More than 400 of the largest financial institutions use dv01 for our coverage of over 75 million loans spanning mortgages, personal loans, auto, buy-now-pay-later programs, small business, and student loans. dv01 continues to expand coverage of new markets, adding loans monthly, and developing new technologies for the structured products universe.
To get a better idea of what a year at dv01 looks like, check out our 2022 Year in Review page here: https://dv01.co/year-in-review/2022/ If that looks like fun to you, get in touch because we'd love to hear from you.
- Own our data platform. You will own the data platform that powers all of dv01’s offerings. You will work with systems that ingest data to the cloud, perform transformations at scale, and deliver data to internal and external clients. Our platform code is written in Scala to get the maximum performance from Apache Spark and Python for new projects to develop features quickly. Our tech stack is built on the Google Cloud Platform - leveraging Cloud Composer (Apache Airflow), Dataproc (Apache Spark), BigQuery, CloudSQL, GKE (kubernetes); in-house tooling - scheduling/monitoring tools, API crawlers, PDF parsers/scrapers, SFTP servers; and ad-hoc analysis services such as Databricks.
- Work extensively with open source technology. You’ll work heavily within the Spark ecosystem, as well as explore new open source technologies to solve customer needs. The skills you develop here will serve you well beyond dv01.
- Interact with a diverse team. You will collaborate closely with other teams at dv01 to expand and improve the capabilities of our data platform. This includes working closely with several analyst teams to understand business domains, the Integrations team to resolve scaling and functionality pain points in data processing, the Internal Applications Team to build solutions for our internal workflows, and several Product Teams to scale data ingestion, storage, and database access to ship new products.
- Gain knowledge of the financial industry. You’ll have an exclusive view into the system that enables Americans to afford houses, cars, and college. You will learn about the participants, terminology, and mathematics behind this sector of the financial markets.
- Experienced with all aspects of working with big data. You have 5+ years of professional data engineering experience working with large data sets and are intimately familiar with the construction of scalable ETL pipelines, intricacies of accurate data processing, and infrastructure involved with ensuring the reliability of hundreds of daily processes.
- A Google Cloud Platform enthusiast. 3+ years of experience architecting large-scale distributed computing systems with GCP technologies.
- A well-rounded engineer. You have 5+ years of professional programming experience with Python or Scala and a deep appreciation for engineering fundamentals. You understand the importance of writing tests, designing systems for long term maintainability, and evaluating both sides of common engineering considerations.
- A systems engineer. You are able to collaborate with a wide range of people from diverse backgrounds to investigate and solve problems, often integrating multiple in-house and cloud-based systems. You are able to balance your time between gathering information, teaching others, and contributing well-documented code.
- Proficient with data governance practices. Familiar with governance concepts and have implemented systems in the past (e.g. collibra, atlan, etc.). You are familiar with both the technical and business aspects of data governance and understand how it all ties together with lineage processes, tagging data elements to assist with risk assessment, business requirement gathering, and impact analysis.
NICE TO HAVES:
- Familiarity with GitHub Actions and Harness for CI/CD
- Comfortable with SQL
- Experience building data management systems (lineage, metadata, quality)
- Familiarity working in an agile environment
- Familiar working with workflow management tools like Jira and Confluence
- A background in Structured Finance
In good faith our salary range for this role is $150,000 - $160,000 but are not tied to it. Final offer amount will be at the company’s sole discretion and determined by multiple factors, including years and depth of experience, expertise, and other business considerations.
Our community is fueled by diverse people who welcome differing points of view and the opportunity to learn from each other. Our team is passionate about building a product people love and a culture where everyone can innovate and thrive.
BENEFITS & PERKS:
- Unlimited PTO. Unplug and rejuvenate, however you want—whether that’s vacationing on the beach or at home on a mental-health day.
- In-House Personal & Performance Development Coach. Recharge with our in-house personal & performance development coach, who is here to listen and help guide in your self-development and overall wellness.
- $1,000 Learning & Development Fund. No matter where you are in your career, always invest in your future. We encourage you to attend conferences, take classes, and lead workshops. We also host hackathons, brunch & learns, and other employee-led learning opportunities.
- Remote-First Environment. People thrive in a flexible and supportive environment that best invigorates them. You can work from your home, cafe, or hotel. You decide.
- Health Care and Financial Planning. We offer a comprehensive medical, dental, and vision insurance package for you and your family. We also offer a 401(k) for you to contribute.
- Free Equinox Membership or $1,650 Annual Fitness Fund. Regular exercise offers a plethora of mental and physical health benefits. You can either enroll in an all-access Equinox membership or at your preferred gym. Or take advantage of our fitness fund, which can be used toward at-home workout equipment (yes, including a Peloton).
- New Family Bonding. Primary caregivers can take 12 weeks off 100% paid leave, while secondary caregivers can take 3 weeks. Returning to work after bringing home a new child isn’t easy, which is why we’re flexible and empathetic to the needs of new parents.
dv01 is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants and employees will receive consideration for employment opportunities without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, veteran status, membership in the uniformed services, disability, genetic information or any other basis protected by applicable law.